aka “Woah! Where did the green stuff go?”
Welcome to Thesis
For the last couple of years, I’d been working through a couple of WordPress themes, simple in design, without much thought to the limitations they might be giving to my site. Despite my comments a few days ago, I’ve decided to take the plunge and purchase my first WordPress theme, called Thesis.
The decision to buy it was a difficult one for me – While I appreciate good work should be paid for, I’m a great believer in open source software, or that due to the work I do, I’m capable of producing something similar myself. I thought this would be no exception.
Boy, was I wrong!
I’d obviously been studying the front-end output from the theme from their demo and showcase sites, and while it had a few nice bits, I still wasn’t sure about it. Having bought it though, I’m totally blown away by the back-end code. Not just the usability of the options available, but also the quality of the underlying code that runs it. Truly remarkable.
Despite Thesis looking fairly fantastic out of the box, it was designed to be a base level theme that each blogger could build upon, via custom CSS and function files. I’ve started tweaking a few bits on this site and I’m loving the ease with which I can do it.
It’s almost a cliché, but I’ve read that this will be the last theme I’ll ever need to install and I’m starting to believe that they could be right.